Monday, June 16, 2014

One-sided Squats


Today is Monday and for me that means QUAD, HAMSTRINGS AND GLUTES. I might be the one of the very few females who does not care for leg day. I know its important but I would rather do upper body any day of the week. To give my body something other than a basic squat I was introduced to ONE-SIDED Squats and now they are a must. They engage the obliques the whole time which I love! Kill two birds with one stone or two muscles with one weight!

                              "DROP IT LIKE A SQUAT"
Complements of Flex Till Your Famous and my awesome sister-in-law.


To start off, start with comfortable stance for most that's shoulders width apart then take a heavier set dumbbell  and place in on your shoulder to where it is comfortable. (You can use a kettle bell but I prefer a dumbbell.) Keep toes and knees pointing in the same direction. From here you will squat down bending from your knees and keeping them over your toes. Push that butt back do not be shy. Bend all the way down to where is comfortable for me I prefer a deeper squat (past 90 degrees great for building ACL strength) You have to work to that though. Then as you come up from squat  squeeze those GLUTES!! Then repeat. I do 3 sets of 14 reps with the reps split in half 7 with the weight on the Left shoulder and 7 with the weight on the Right shoulder!

* I prefer a deep squat because once you squat past a parallel you stimulate the glutes more. I know some doctors do not recommend a deep squat for everyone, but for me I slowly worked towards it  and I actually feel as though it has helped my knee years after an ACL surgery. Practice deep squats without weight first.

ALSO...


      
WE WON!!! Such an amazing game to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment