Saturday, June 14, 2014

Simple Shoulders


Simple Shoulders 

I have been asked by a few people to post pictures of what each work out looks like and I was like... "duh".
So I apologize for the few work outs I have posted with out the picture. I hope that my pictures and explanations of each workout explain sufficiently, but if it does not please feel free to ask any questions.

Like I have said before... I LOVE SHOULDERS!  Here are some of my favorite workouts to do mixed in with the basic shoulder workouts. Who just wants to do front raises and Arnold presses every shoulder day? NOT ME. Here's to mixing it up and getting those shoulders off of their plateau!

#1 Walnut Crunch: I love this simple work out to start off right after I have warmed up my shoulders with some arm circles with little or no weight (depending if I am going to be lifting heavy that day). Start with a good neutral stance "feet shoulders with apart with a slight bent knee". You are going to start in the"W" formation with your arms. (Hands should be under weights) When doing this though, puff your chest to insure a proper stance. Then rotate both of your hands, punching out to the sides. ( Hands should be on top of weights at this point) Then pull it back in and repeat. I do 3 sets of 15 reps light weight 2.5- 5lbs.
#2. Scarecrow: Once I feel sufficiently warmed up I move on to the Scarecrow. I have been working on this move for quite some time ): if you notice in image 2 I am uneven (my shoulders are not level) that is what happens when you train shoulder with heavy presses and don't focus on RANGE OF MOTION or stretch properly. Since I have noticed the imbalance in my right shoulder I have had scarecrows in ever shoulder work out. ANYWAY... You start with arms at a 90 degree bend as in image 1 and only moving in the shoulder you move your arms to be as if image 2! I do 3 x 12 with light weight 3 lbs
Go slow and steady on this one especially.
Ladies and Gents do not forget about ROM it is crucial!
#3. Shoulder Press: A great way to mix up any work out is to add the element of balance! YOU MUST KEEP YOUR CORE STRONG!  Start as in image 1 at a 90 degrees then push up where the weights are above my head BUT DO NOT TOUCH allowing for the weight to stay on the shoulders. Then bring back down to starting position and repeat. I normally do these with a heavier weight 3 sets of 12 with 15-20lbs weights. ( I never max out on a ball though) Once you feel comfortable one the ball  and have balance try picking up one foot through out the set then repeat with the opposite foot the next set. (:
#4. Lateral Raise: Start with weights by your side and  raise them laterally to where they are in the spot as the image shows. This move is a classic but a favorite. To mix it up start one set on both fee,  the second set stand on one leg with knee slightly bent,  and then for the third set  stand on the opposite leg with a slightly bent knee. I do this with a moderate weight 3 sets of 12 with 8-10 lbs


#5. VW: If you have ever seen a Volkswagon emblem this should make a little sense...Start with your arms making the "V" in VW and then pull them into your sides and make a "W". Then push them back up into and upward V as in image one and then slowly lower them down to your sides as in image three. From here you will raise your arms into the starting "V". I hope that made some sense.... any way. I love these for fatiguing myself if I am supersetting. I do 3 sets of 12 reps light weight 3-5lbs DO NOT LET THE SMILE FOOL YOU. These become so tiring for me.. goodluck
#6 Upright Row: Last but not least.Begin standing with your feet hip width apart and a dumbell in each handat your thighs with palms facing in.Raise the dumbbells, bending your arms at the elbow up to chest height. Pause and slowly lower the weights back down to starting position. To mix it up I use heavy resistance band allowing the work to get harder as I go along. If doing weights though I usually do 8-10lbs with 3 sets of 12 reps.

I HOPE THESE WORKOUTS WERE HELPFUL!

*Consult A Doctor Before Preforming Any New Strenuous Activity

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kelsey! I love love love this workout! That VW is a killer. I typically stray away from arm and shoulder workouts, but this was great and the pictures were so easy to follow. Keep them coming please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed them! I will be posting more workouts this weekend! Some of my favorite abs!

      Delete